The multipurpose simulator provides an opportunity for visitors to try their hands at flying various airplanes. This pre-programmed unit, built for the Airline History Museum by Roger Dodger Aviation, can simulate aircraft ranging from WWI single engine bi-planes to modern day jumbo jets and supersonic fighters. More experienced simulator ‘pilots’ can even experience the thrill of ‘flying’ the Lockheed Super G Constellation N6937C.
Curtiss Wright Dehmel Flight Trainer
Early instrument flight trainers were purely mechanical devices. The most significant of these was the “Link Trainer” or “Blue Box” developed in the 1930’s by Edwin A. Link. These trainers were used extensively to train pilots in the basics of flight through the 1940’s.
Dr. Richard Dehmel received a patent for an “Instrument Flight Duplicator” in 1950. This device was one of the first electronic flight trainers. It used electronic circuits to duplicate the aircraft’s response to control inputs. It also reproduced the “low frequency range signals, “automatic direction finder (ADF)” bearing information, and “Instrument Landing System (ILS)” localizer and glide slope signals.
Dr. Dehmel licensed the Curtis Wright Corporation to build these devices; this one built in about 1953. This cockpit represents a generic single engine piston aircraft with instruments representative of state of the art aircraft of that time.
The instructor sat outside the left rear of the trainer and used a control panel to set up the student’s flight conditions. A circular graph with a pen device was used to track the student’s progress during the training session.
These devices were used extensively to train airline crews in instrument flight procedures until more sophisticated simulators became available in the late 1950’s.
Trainer; Instrument Flying, 0-250 Knots.
Spec. No: MILT 7278
MFG’S PART NO: 50497
Stock No: 1100X850280
MFG’s Serial No: 544
Order No: AF33 (600)21126
“This apparatus is manufactured and sold under one or more of the following U.S. Patents: 2,366,603, 2,366,603, 2,429,465, 2,431,749, 2,432,140, 2,432,141, 2,432,142, 2,443,604, 2,450,046, 2,451,927, 2,751,959, 2,458,982, 2,460,877, 2,463,602, 2,463,603, 2,471,315, 2,474,097, 2,475,314, 2,485,435, 2,494,508, other patents pending”
PROPERTY: U.S. GOVERNMENT
Boeing 727 Flight Simulator
The Airline History Museum is fortunate to have this Boeing 727 Flight Simulator. It was designed and built for Boeing Aircraft in the early 1960’s by Conductron-Missouri. This particular unit bears Serial # l. Conductron Corporation was founded by Keeve Milton (Kip) Siegel.
Following the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8 sims, it is one of the earliest generation of “Full Motion Sims”. For the first time, this generation of simulators utilized a combination of analog computer technology and pneumatic and hydraulic mechanisms to accurately duplicate the pitch, roll and yaw motions of the aircraft in flight.
This basic technology was used in the design of simulators for all new airliners introduced during the 1960’s through the mid 80’s time period. Later designs continued to use the existing mechanical processes, but evolved over the years to exclusive use of digital computer technology.
Along with the entry of digital computer technology came the extensive use of graphic displays which included visual representation of individual airports, city skylines, etc. much the same as they would appear to the flight crew ‘flying’ simulated flight from any specified origin to destination.
Lockheed L-1011 Cockpit Procedures Trainer (CPT)
The CPT duplicates the L-1011 cockpit with three flight stations; Pilot, CoPilot, and Flight Engineer. The Flight Engineer’s seat has been left out of this display to make it easier for visitors to experience the flight deck.
This trainer was used to train flight crews on operating the aircraft systems and handling emergencies in those systems.
The instructor’s panel at the rear of the cockpit was used to control the training environment and introduce simulated failures into the aircraft systems.
The simulation was accomplished using analog techniques. Printed circuit cards that performed the computation of the aircraft functions are housed in the green cabinets next to the cockpit. This was probably one of the last used of analog technology. Shortly after this CPT was manufactured, the technology moved forward to digital computers that were much faster and more accurate in accomplishing the simulations.